Search This Blog

Monday, October 09, 2006

Thailand news (Oct. 9, 2006)

No real developments. From the articles I've read, it appears that the military coup was necessary and that the last elections were corrupt. So was the Prime Minister. Apparently he made out very well financially from the position. Everyone knew he was corrupt. So for an early attempt at democracy, it was a failure. So the King took over and had the army depose him. Now they have a new cabinet in place with a significant lack of military people in it (only two) and some well-qualified people. The next election will take place in a year. The interim Prime Minister is a capable military leader who is well-respected. (okay, that's what I got out of all the articles I have read.)

Western nations are upset that the election and Prime Minister were overturned. In some ways they have expressed their disappointment and disapproval to the King. That is probably where the hold on visas lies. Or everyone went to the South to go snorkeling while the cabinet is reorganized. I can understand not approving of military coups, but the Prime Minister was a crook elected by a dishonest election. Things seem orderly for now and necessary, but if the King were to die during this disruption, chaos would probably rule. I think maybe what he did was what he had to to do. I think it would be very safe to be a tourist in Thailand right now.

No comments: