Search This Blog

Monday, October 30, 2006

October 30, 2006

Tommy's feet are a mess. He wore new cleats and played four frisbee games. I thought he seemed exhausted and worn yesterday, and then he took off his shoes and socks. I hope they heal by next Saturday. Why do so many people say that Autumn is their favorite season? It's so melancholy but wonderful. I liked Agata's expression "an Autumn spleen". I think I know exactly what that means. Halloween is tomorrow, then it's a short time until Thanksgiving, and too little time until Christmas. I remember one Thanksgiving we had when we rented a cabin at Fishlake. We took a frozen smoked turkey from the grocery store and some other stuff. Dad pulled the boys behind the van on snow sleds. The cabin had a big fire place. I remember that as a good time. The boys slept upstairs in a loft bedroom.

Sunset Magazine did a big color photo section on Zion's Canyon (we forgot to show Tommy this yesterday). They took a photo of the canyon from the very place Tommy took a photo then did a double page spread on it. Tommy's is better. The angle is more interesting and the layers of canyons disappear into more haze (it's all clear and focused in the Sunset photo.) I hope he or Travis can put that photo on the blog for you all to see.

We changed off of daylight savings time yesterday. I don't usually wear a watch (too much dishwater) so I think I look at the light outside a lot to tell what time it is, especially to wake up. Anyway, I don't like the change. I can't convince myself to play. I have to let it creep up on me. Is there such a thing in Europe as daylight savings time? I think all days are four hours long anyway.

Alex should e-mail on Wednesday morning. Hope all is well with him. Travis is on his way home, in the dark. I'm going to post this now as internet is disconnecting.

Love, Mom

No comments: