Search This Blog
Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Dennis and Travis in St George
Well our streak is intact. Every time I come to St. George it rains! This time it didn't rain as hard as it usually does. In fact, it just got cold and cloudy and sprinkled a little bit. We had planned on doing the "Subway" from the top. In this hike, you have to "rappel" down in several spots. OK, it isn't real rappelling, they said you needed 60 feet of webbing and that you use it to help you descend several boulders. Still, this means that, once you start, you can't turn back. The other obstacle is that you have to swim through cold water in several places. This isn't a problem if it is hot, like it had been all week. For example, on Sunday, it was over 95 degrees. When Travis and I got to St. George at 9:00 on Monday night, it was still way hot, probably at least 80 degrees. Then the big storm blew in and the temp dropped to a high of about 70. Way to cold to go swimming in cold water, so we canceled the rappelling and swimming part and hiked into the "Subway" from the bottom. When I get the pictures developed I will post them and you will see why it is called the Subway. Anyway, it was still fun but, like all Currit hikes, kind of turned into a "death march". It is only supposed to be about 4.5 miles each way (in and out, about 9 miles total), but it sure seemed much longer. We survived but are both very tired. We have to head back to SLC in the morning so Travis can finish his school work. I would love to be able to stay and explore a little more, but that isn't possible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
wow, I admire your condition Dennis!!!! Congratulations!
hey at least the car didnt break down- thats all that was missing to make it a well-rounded currit family excursion.
Post a Comment