Search This Blog

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Magic of Internet

I've discovered my new favorite site on the internet: VideoJug.com. My addiction to this site came about the other day, when I was attempting to make some garlic naan to go with the shrimp saag (thanks for the recipe d + j) for Valentines day, and the attempt went horribly ary. Grasping desperately for answers as to why I had this chewy, over sweet, inedible substance instead of delicious naan, I stumbled upon this recipe, simple and complete with an illustrative video narrated with a charming british accent! (http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-naan-bread) I have yet to try it out but hope to soon.

Its pretty fun, they have videos for all sorts of recipes, do it yourself projects, and other life situations- perfect for those like me who lack common sense and seem to have not been paying attention at how to really do all those little details in life, and need it explained slowly and clearly in full color detail. The british touch makes it go down smooth. You can probably find all this stuff on youtube or googlevideo, but I like the flavor of this one, and they have a bit more quality control than youtube.

The videos on fitting a door lock would have come in handy this afternoon, when we had a scary/comical incident. Agata had just finished with a lesson, and was escorting her pupil to the door when she made an unfortunate discovery: the lock wouldnt turn open. Now, first I have to explain something about our appartment. Some people are satisfied with one door. Not the owners of this place. They must have lots of axe-wielding enemies or something, because in addition to their double-bolted and chain-latched primary door, they installed a solid metal outer door, which is also double-bolted. It was the top lock on this door, consisting of two solid steel bars jammed into the concrete wall, which would not open for Agata. The prospect of being locked in our own house with this slightly-odd student for the rest of the week soon arose. Plus, Agata had to leave for work in the next 15 minutes, adding an air of tension to the scene. Luckily after fighting with screwdrivers we were able to take off the lock and free ourselves. Oddly enough, the lock now works just fine, without having done anything to it other than take it off and put it back on.

Carry on familia
tQc

1 comment:

jo said...

FEb. 15, 2007

There's an old remedy that I swear by. I have to even encourage Dad to remember and use it. It works for many metal on metal problems, especially if you walk away and let it work by itself for a while. It's as useful as duct tape. W-D 40. That's it. I bet your lock would have responded to W-D 40. Thanks for the website reference. I want to know how to do everything, and that just isn't realistic.

Love, Mom