So, I got some good news last night: Ive been accepted to Florida State University's Master program in History. They havent told me about funding yet, so its not really good news, and its down near the bottom of my list of top choices for grad school, but it was nice to finally hear something.
I went to the university and pinned up flyers everywhere advertising my English lessons. I was getting really bored and hope to find some more work. Weve got one call already, a Biology professor who wants some conversation practice. She sounded real nice, until at the end of the phone call (she was speaking to Agata in Polish) she said, "Well, I really don't know how to say this, but what is his nationality?" Agata was confused and answered, "Well, American American, I mean not Native American but.." The womand clarified: "Let me ask this directly: is he black?" Agata, flabbergasted, replied, "no...", and the woman was relieved, apparently. I guess her last tutor was black and she had a hard time understanding his accent.
(to clarify, this is not a typical Polish attitude, just some odd racist lady)
Life trickles by, same old same old. Love you all, be excellent to each other,
TQC
1 comment:
Congratulations! Florida was just devastated by some kind of natural disaaster, but besides that, cool! I'm sure it's good to have an offer start to happen.
Maybe she's not prejudice at all. Maybe the guy had a really different accent. We hear it so much on tv and in the movies (and we speak English). But I think I might be baffled. I'm reading a book called "All But My Life" about a Polish woman (Jewish..and you know the rest of the story.) She's actually from a town that was German-speaking but part of Poland.
Good luck with the English tutoring. When is your flight home?
Post a Comment