Search This Blog

Monday, February 26, 2007

Weekend

Well, our cultural evening on Friday turned out to be even more cultural than expected. I went to the chat with the visiting actor Friday afternoon while Agata was at work. I decided to fill the inevitably awkward silence that was the question and answer session, and apparently the actor, who was Welsh-Italian-American, was longing so much for English language conversation that he came up to me after the talk and started chatting. He asked if I had seen the play, I said no, so he offered me and Agata two tickets for that evening's performance. It was a one-man play/monologue/poem by Dylan Thomas, Under Milkwood or some such, just amazing and lovely performance.

Saturday I spent the morning battling once again with our breezy windows. I ended up taping a polar fleece blanket over the window in our bedroom. It seems to be a bit warmer, but then again temperatures have climbed up to a balmy -2 so it has yet to be tested. That evening we visited Agata's aunt for ribs and had a friend over afterwords.

Sunday Agata's Dad called, saying he must see her for something very important. They were supposed to leave to go somewhere to talk, but he came just after we had finished up frying up a big batch of tasty onion rings so he stayed for lunch. He kept asking if everything was ok, if we needed anything. We said yes, were fine, but he kept insisting, so finally we complained about the hyda-bed couch that is our only bed. He insisted on doing something about that, and immediately. It turned out, however, that beds are quite expensive, so we decided to just get a mattress. Mattresses being a little pricey themselves, we decided on an blow up air mattress. It works wonderfully, really much more comfortable than the bed and plus perhaps can be taken with us when we move. Plus, combined with our brisk breezes, everyday feels like camping. We decided to make the most of it by having an Oscar Sleepover Party last night, staying up all night watching the Oscars (they start at 2 am in this time zone) on our giant air mattress in our living room.

Today we woke up at 9 and had pancakes. Who ever would have thought unemployement could be so great?

1 comment:

jo said...

I coundn't type in a comment. Google made me verify my account again. So we'll see if this works. We watched some of the A.A. I was glad "the Queen" did so well. It was a pretty low-key show.

I think it sounds like you guys are freezing. Did you buy a return ticket yet? I deposited your money today from the U of U in savings. That was kind of a mix up of account numbers. So it is in savings.

How's graduation and colleg aps going?

Love, Mom