Search This Blog

Friday, February 23, 2007

Gee willikers

It was -13 this morning. This is never fun, because our appartments heating system (a few radiators) cant compensate for the constant gusts of cold air blowing through our shoddily-attached windows once it gets below -5 or so. I spent an hour or so yesterday trying to affix various things to the cracks between our windows and the wall to stop the drafts, but to no avail.

On the bright side, however, I made some butter chicken the "Video Jug" way, and it was delicious. Tastes almost exactly like the Royal India version, except I couldnt afford chicken breast so we had it with mutilated wings.

Tonight were going to a special screening of some of these films Ive been studying; before I might go to a monologue by some british actor; all in all a very cultural weekend.

I just took my biscuits out of the oven, a dismal failure. Anyone know what I did wrong? They are small and hard and white and not big and flaky and slightly brown like I hoped. I guess in general they are not much like Pilsbury, which perhaps is just the way things go.

Anywho, best of luck to all,
TQC

1 comment:

jo said...

Hi Travis! It's cold here, too. It snowed last night and almost all day. Then the temperatures dropped. We're home tonight and glad to be.

Sorry about the drafts. Maybe duct tape, although it would pull off the paint.

We miss you and feel like we have neglected you. Did you find out any more about marriage stuff?

Biscuits are layers of shortening or butter in leavened flour with a little milk to make moist. If you handle them too much or add too much liquid, they turn into something resembling playdough. The shortening melts in layers between the flour and makes them fluffy. I'll post the recipe for those biscuit sticks I make on Sunday called "butter dips." Handle them gently and as little as possible. But they are easy.

Good luck! Plug up those holes. I can't think about you two sitting in a cold draft. Hang some quilts or blankets or wall hangings up. My Grandma used to nail sheep skins on the outside of her house where the drafts came in.

Try it.

Love, Mom