Search This Blog

Saturday, June 09, 2012

News from Warsaw

The Euro football championships are underway, hosted in Poland and Ukraine. I wonder if they talk about it at all in the US. I don't ever recall hearing a thing about it (its a close second to the World Cup, hosted every 4 years) before I started hanging out with Europeans. Its like a mini Olympics in its effect on the host countries, a whole host of infrastructure projects were sped up to finish in time, and the all of Warsaw is absorbed in Euro-fever.

We, however, are mainly absorbed in wedding planning. We have made great progress on many fronts, but new complications keep arising to ensure that we stay busy. Yet the stress and angst are mainly gone and its fun now, we're really excited. A short rundown: I have a suit, but still looking for accessories (Agata is a fan of suspenders and a bow-tie), Agata's dress is being crafted by a seamstress as we speak, we've figure out lodging for everyone and the greater part of our travel plans, although we need to finalize some transport, we've sent out a round of invitations and are almost ready to send out round 2, all the main aspects of the actual wedding are arranged, and all the aunts have bought at least 3 dresses. Looking pretty good.

We were pleasantly surprised when our good friends from New Orleans that we met in France told us they had found a way to come visit us in two weeks. We had such a great time with them last year and are really glad to have them know.

As for Euro summer wear, I see little point in trying to look "native" when traveling, especially since just trying to be comfortable and not stinky is usually challenge enough. Summer weather in Poland can, and usually does, change from sweater-and-long-pants cool to torrentially rainy to sweltering hot in one day. I usually sleep in pajamas with the windows open, wear shorts around the house to not get too hot, and always leave the house with jeans and a long sleeve shirt and an umbrella in my backpack, just in case. But I'm much more paranoid about being too cold than too hot.

Well, that's about it. In between all the fun we try to work and figure out what to do with our lives. Oh, and eat. It's strawberry season, people standing with huge baskets on every corner. We eat them plain, in pies, and in milkshakes. The young potatoes are in and are delicious. Young beets are in, though I have yet to find a really great way to eat them. Tomatoes are really nice though not quite at their peak, and it is the very start of cucumber season - we've got jar pickling in our kitchen at the moment. We've become great fans of pan-fried trout and mackerel, the cheapest fish you can get around here. It's been too rainy lately to grill; since the pattern of a thunderstorm a day will probably last all summer, we might just need to get some sort of beach umbrella and go for it.

2 comments:

Tommy said...

Soccer has been on a steady up and up in popularity here, actually. I think since it has busted into ESPN daily talking points, more people are aware of it. i have heard about the Euro cup for months now, and its the talk at work. Kinda interesting.

Roasted beets are very good. You may be able to pull them off on a grill. We usually cook them in the oven. Just olive oil and coarse salt. mmm

Jolene said...

I like baby beets with the greens still on. Wash carefully, steam then serve with butter and lemon juice. Thanks for the advice on summer dress. I can't bring 3 dresses, even though I would like to. being a traveller I have to commit to my decisions. That's hard for a woman.

I found a michelin guide to Poland. In the section on Lodz, the featured picture is of an old wonderful building. It's our hotel!! I don't know what it used to be. They also say that the street is a wonderful, historic walk of about 4 km. And they mentioned about 4 interesting restaurants including a pizza place. Didn't you and Agata say you got the best pizza there?

I would like to follow the Euro Cup. I wonder if the learning curve is too steep??? Maybe Tommy can help me today.