Search This Blog

Saturday, December 02, 2006

first star

waiting for a first star

My favourite part of Christmas in Poland is Christmas Eve (24 December), which is probably more important in our tradition then 25th December.
We have a family dinner together, we start quite early, at about 17. There is this custom which I love- you always put one more plate for an unexpected visitor. If someone poor knockes at your door on Christmas Eve this plate and a place at the table are for him.
I also like thinkig that this plate and this empty chair are for someone that can no longer be with us, like my Grandma or for someone that we would like to be with us but he or she is far away.
There has to be 12 dishes, no meat of course. So we eat pierogi, fish, mushrooms and my grandpa's acid soup which is the next thing that I miss during the whole year. The recipe is quite mysterious, my grandpa's mother learned it from her aunt who came from Lithuania.
We get presents on Christmas Eve in Poland. But there is one condition ( of course besides being a good kid): you have to wait for a first star to appear on the sky,then Santa Claus comes. When I was little it was always my Dad or my uncle who played Santa Claus and they would make us sing and dance.
I love Christmas. And I love these Polish customs, because they make Christmas one of the most touching moments in a year.

5 comments:

jo said...

Jenni likes a French custom of serving 12 dishes and my Italian neighbor has a tradition of twelve dishes. I think symbolism and traditions can be kind and special. I like the empty place setting. Why no meat? And what is in the acid soup, sauerkraut? Thanks for sharing. (We love Chinese hot and sour soup).

Unknown said...

I remember being mesmerized by your description of those traditions almost a year ago now. Now Ill be missing them again, just barely- but Ill be there in time to eat the extra plate's leftovers!

I think in the US, since we dont have any real elaborate set traditions, each family has to invent their own. Ive loved how weve developed some great ones- christmas eve movies, gift exchange, christmas morning sausage snacking, et-- and have been able to add to the list through the years. Remember the first time we all watched 'A christmas carol' in the parents' room before opening presents? That has been a magical time for me through the years...

agatkamuminek said...

no meat because Christmas Eve is a fast day. There is some juice of sauerkraut and some mushroom stock ( I dont know if that a right word)in my grandpa's soup. It's my favourite soup! I'll give you a recipe! It's similar to Chinese hot and sour soup so you will love it.

jo said...

Travis: I was going to put on my list that we watch " A Christmas Carol" together. Remember how we would keep watching it instead of running out to open presents? Then eventually seven in a bed wasn't working and someone would start to leave....

jo said...

I would like the sour soup recipe. It sounds so good right now on a cold night.