Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I just thought I'd say hi--it's been a while. I hope you all got the email about Danny's thesis--very cool. He's turning it in to the committee tomorrow which means there is light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile I am keeping busy with tutoring and Jak and proof-reading Danny's thesis all hours of the night.
I thought I'd share a little anecdote from a shopping trip today with Jak. Most shopping trips have a story it seems. I have no pride left at our neighborhood Safeway--especially since it's quite small and I'm there all the time and it's always the same workers. Anyway, the system is: I walk the couple blocks to the grocery store with Jak. He usually insists on walking there--today there was even some road construction going on which was very exciting for him--he insisted on touching the truck both times we passed. We also pass a bus stop which he loves--except when he throws a fit because he wants to "ride bus". Anyway--it's taking longer to write this than it actually takes to make the walk. Once at the store I hook a basket on the handles of Jak's little umbrella stroller. So the basket hangs behind his head. One handle of the basket goes over one handle of the stroller and the other handle goes on the other handle. That didn't make sense but you get the idea. It works very well. Anyway, we were just buying stuff and I realized too late that we needed much more than one basket could hold. But, I'm pretty stubborn about that kind of thing and figured I'd make it work. So next thing you know the basket is overflowing in a delicate balance, Jak is holding the cheese and the paper towels are balancing on his head and I have a box of cereal under each arm and the eggs in one hand and I'm trying to navigate the stroller to the check out stand with my remaining hand. I really have no shame, unfortunately. So, we get to the line and I let go of the stroller to put the stuff in my arms on the belt and immediately the stroller, laden with milk, cleaning supplies, boxes of cereal, cans, beans, and my innocent boy with his cheese and paper towels became terribly out of balance and went crashing backwards to the ground. Things were rolling everywhere and Jak, his arms now empty, still strapped in but hanging upside down apparantely unscathed was laughing his head off. He thought it was the funniest thing ever. So I left him there upside down until I gathered everything up onto the belt then calmly picked him up as if this was all very ordinary--nothing to draw attention. Honestly, who am I kidding. The cashier was very kind and just checked my things as if nothing had happened then we loaded all of the bags on the handles--and balancing it much more carefully made our way home.
Ahhh, a day in the life of Jenni and Jakson. Unfortunately moments like that are really not that uncommon. I'd like to blame it on having a 2 year old who is getting me into trouble which is what I usually do. Honestly it is often fair--like the other grocery store incident when Jak dumped a whole carton of eggs out on top of all of the groceries which meant we had a huge puddle of shells, yolk, and egg white which was quite scrambled on the ground once it was filtered through all of my groceries. I blamed that on Jak. But, I think more often than not, it really is my own stupidity that gets us into trouble. We are quite a pair walking around this city.

1 comment:

jo said...

I think there are a lot of mothers who just stay home and don't face all the hassles, or leave their kids with others. Jak is an amazing, social being because of all the experiences you give him and because of your attitude. The sad things is when the babies are grown and the adventures keep happening. Then we really know who is the problem.....