Dear Family,
How goest the home? (Agata: that wasn't English) It is getting cold out there!
So this week flew by so fast. I only have two weeks left here! We should get out travel papers this week! I am overflowing with joyousness! It's not that I haven't enjoyed the MTC---I have. The problem is it is like living "Ground Hog's Day" . I am living exactly the same day every day=same food, same activities with the same exact people at the same time everyday. It gets even wrose when people start telling the same stories they told the day before---it's like Ground-Hog's day but without the fun invicibility bonuses. We have been here so long, they have even started cylcing back through devotional speakers. It doubles the dejevu effect. (how the heck on you spell de je vu?)
Sounds like Marty and Brandy are doing great. The Blog also sounds exciting. The family has gone hightech since I left.
Well, we bury English today. That means we are supposed to speak only Thai until we leave the MTC. Other exciting news (more exciting for me, not so for you) is that me and Elder Wheelwright have made some real progress in the Thai script Book of Mormon.
Other semi-exciting news is that a feud has developed between the Thai speaking elders and the Korean speaking elders. We share a bathroom with them. They are now our arch-nemesis. ( We are here 12 weeks with them, we got to do something to entertain ourselves!) I am not sure what this feud will come to, but right now it consists of lots of angry fists shaking when they have their backs turned.
Did I already tell you about the sonvert in my district? He used to be Lutheran and was associated with the Baptists at one point. We practiced-taught together this week. When we had people teach us, it was hilarious. jWe were pretending to be investigators and all of a sudden he just started Bible bashing thses kids (I mean this Elder knows the Bible crazy well). I felt horrible for the other elders. The looks on their faces were priceless.
So if you haven't notice, what I am getting at with this letter is that nothing really happened this past week.
Well, I just finished my shots. I will send some insurance slips/other info next letter.
Well, thus ends another successsful, epic, information-filled apistle. I can't wait to get out and share this great message with the people of Thailand!
P.S. I will send pictures sometime this week.
Love, Alex
5 comments:
Could someone please explain me what the Ground Hog's Day is??????
"Groundhog's Day" is both America's stupidest holiday and one of my favorite movies of all time. The holiday is on February 2nd, and, for reasons unknown to just about everyone, involves a "groundhog" (a little rat/beaver like animal that lives in holes, I dont think Ive ever seen one) coming out of his cave, then looking around and if he sees his shadow then there will be six more weeks of winter. Or maybe its the other way around. Im not sure I even want to know the origins of this stupidity.
The movie stars Bill Murray and is totally awesome. The basic premise is that Bill lives the same day, Groundhog's Day, over and over again, thousands of times- he just wakes up each morning and its the same song on the radio, everyone says the same thing. Its funny and profound, in fact Ive thought deeply many times about its philosphical implications- I think it has a lot to do with the nature of personal progress and accepting life as it comes. Plus did I mention the great jokes (Ned? Ned Ryerson?)
oh, ok, so it's "świstak" in Polish, I get the idea. Thank you. If he sees his shadow????I don't think that groundhogs even realise that they have one.But that's cute, a bit crazy but cute. Any special meals for this holiday, like a roasted groundhog?:)
I think you have to be practically crazy from winter to even begin the understand this holiday. When I was a child I used to hope and hope the ground hog wouldn't see his shadow. Or would. I couldn't remember which. I was just tired of snowballs, wet shoes and cold legs. I have never seen a ground hog. I have seen a mole and a vole (in Travis bedroom window well.)
A vole? Oh non,I'm afraid of rodents...
Post a Comment