Search This Blog

Friday, April 06, 2012

The News As Mom Knows It

I keep waiting to know exactly what's going on before I blog news. I'm sure Agata and Travis would rather know something than nothing, and the news is morphing all the time. So here goes:

Easter is this Sunday. Everyone seems to be trying to lose weight (except Rilee and Brynna). So do I buy Peeps or not? I'm thinking yes.

As of last Sunday Brynna and Alex were struggling with funding changes in their trip to Thailand. It was close to being a disaster. Some tax problems were examined and facilitator funding was being denied. This is kind of difficult when you have worked all year towards a goal and have purchased plane tickets. During the week the funding was all repaired and, according to Alex, he and Brynna are good to go.

Rilee is still planning on journeying to Jordan the first week in May. She will stay until July, fly to Thailand and spend time with Alex and Brynna (who, fortunately, will be there), then go back to Jordan and fly to Poland.

Tommy is looking for a new creative partner. His writer left for a job in Detroit. I hope she is happy. No, I really do. But Detroit doesn't sound like any fun. I'm sure it is. But isn't it kind of dangerous? I think housing costs are really low there. Supply and demand. White flight. who knows. Tommy's company is also moving to City Creek in a few weeks.

Dennis is enjoying his work. He likes learning things he didn't have time to learn before. It's a great time of life to be doing what he is doing now. The drama never ends in his company, but isn't that the nature of business now? He is looking for a new project to make out of wood. I wonder if he shouldn't make a shaker table out of pagoda wood now that he has perfected his skills. I have two pine tables he has made. They are sweet.

Travis and Agata have finally realized that their wedding is four months away. They have found a DJ (there will be music and dancing). It was so good to skype with them last Sunday. They looked great. Travis is busy getting his visa in order in spite of the bureaucratic hassle. Agata will find a wonderful wedding dress (or have it made). She has collected a lot of pictures. Her Grandpa recently had surgery. We need to have an update on how he is doing. I hope it went well.

Danny and Jenni are busy busy. They are travelling to Moscow to visit their close friends who live there. (Moscow Idaho. There has to be a story there. why moscow? did russians move to western Idaho?) We will see them over Memorial Day, I hope. Danny is very busy with his work. Jenni is teaching piano, taking care of boys, and supervising the children in her ward in their Primary classes.

I just realized that Travis and Agata are probably very busy with Easter celebrations and plans this weekend. I talked to a woman who works at the boutique where I get my hair done. She is Polish! She was telling me about all the things happening this weekend in her Catholic community. She's from Michigan and said that the entire city shuts down tomorrow for the Saturday before Easter. (I forgot what you call that day.) It sounded very lovely to have that kind of respect for the life and death and resurrection of the Savior. It is truly a very sacred time.

I'm doing fine, enjoying life, trying to read all the books for two bookclubs (I'm almost done). I look forward to reading my own books now. But I did read some interesting stuff. It's a good experience to have others choose a book. Remember when we were reading "Born to Run" ? We might have to try a book club again. I'm walking now. It took a lot of work. I sure took my tendons for granted my whole life. I am so grateful to wake up each morning and to have too much to do, but to have the ability to do it. I love working and walking.

Dawn and Tyler are busy with work and kids. Their house is spotless and their daughters are so cute. Dawn is coping well with the pregnancy. We're are planning on seeing them this weekend. They are trying to get their backyard in shape. It's a little shady and the grass needs some help to grow. Ty might have to put some sod down.

Our daffodils are up and it snowed last night. Welcome to spring. How we loved it when it was warm. Who really cares any more? After no snow all winter, I think we just lost all the blossoms on our asian pear tree. You can't care too much in Utah. That's what "high mountain desert" means.

I truly made the best hot chocolate the other night for book club. Here is the recipe:

FRENCH HOT CHOCOLATE

2 1/2 ounces baking chocolate (don't use candy bar. use baking chocolate.)
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream whipped
6 cups hot milk

Directions:

1. Combine water and chocolate
2. Cook until chocolate is melted
3. Add sugar and cook until thick
4. Cool. (don't refrigerate. it gets too stiff to fold into cream.)
5 Fold whipping cream into chocolate mixture gently
6. To serve put 2 heaping tablespoons in a cup and add hot milk. (you can also squirt of spoon whipped cream on top and sprinkle some cocoa powder on it.)


Trust me. This is good.

I'm looking forward to your corrections on this newsletter. Have a sweet Easter.

Love, Mom

2 comments:

jo said...

okay when you fold the whipping cream into the chocolate mixture, the cream is whipped. You gently fold it with a rubber spatula. Not hard, but be patient.

jo said...

to make milk hot by heating on stove: heat only to scalding, not boiling. Milk is scalded when first bubbles appear around the edges of milk. Remove immediately from heat. Pour hot milk over chocolate whipped cream mixture.