Howdy all!
I've got my tickets back home! I decided to come on December 26th, so I can spend Christmas Eve/Day with Agata's family. I'll stay until January 9th. I thought that'd give me one more weekend with the fam. The tickets are great, straight shots through Paris for 850, probably best and cheapest I've ever got between Poland and SLC. Tickets right now for August 2012 are ludicrously expensive, but I think it is just too early -- airlines either haven't published their prices, or are hedging their bets against uncertainty vis a vis currency, fuel prices etc.
If you feel like getting really into scheming for FF miles, check out the site flyertalk.com, they hash over every program and every deal. I rarely see anything worthwhile that doesn't involve signing up for a credit card, and then the maximum payout is usually the equivalent of 400-500 dollars towards a ticket, considering fees and whatnot.
Other tricks for dedicated ticket savers:
Set up a price-alert at Kayak.com to mail you weekly/daily about the cost of a ticket for a set of dates, so you can easily track when its rising and falling.
Consider studentuniverse.com if you still have student status of some kind.
If you want to be hard-core, keep your eyes open (at sites like travelzoo, slickdeals, etc) for super cheap tickets to London/Paris/Dublin/Rejkavik/anywhere in W Europe. You can then try to find a discount Euro airline (RyanAir, WizzAir) ticket to Warsaw -- or be real extreme and take the bus.
It is possible often to book a multi-city trip, that for example arrives in Warsaw but departs from Paris, if you want to plan for travel across Europe like that.
7 comments:
How about $1054 round trip directly to warsaw with layovers? is that a good deal? What time of day do you want to fly? didn't you say to try to do the U.S. to Europe in one flight? Does that mean from Salt lake to Europe or Chicago to Europe? I guess in the long run it all works but what should I avoid in a flight? what carriers should I avoid? How is Continental airlines?
What if I don't have any money? Can I paddle a boat to Europe? Thanks for looking into deals, we're going to try really hard to make this work!
Danny
Danny, please do not worry, if you can't make it, we totally understand! We will miss you though:(
mom, i've seen that 1054 w/ 2 stops, if it comes down to it its not a bad price, about average, but definitely wait! its still very early, i have a feeling lots of fares have yet to be published.
As for preferences, we much prefer a first leg straight from the US to Europe -- in SLC, this pretty much just means SLC to Paris, as I think that's the only direct flight. Usually this will be in the evening, which is nice -- you just go to bed and wake up, 9 hours and your in Europe.
The only 1-stop option to get from SLC to Warsaw would be to go through Chicago -- and via LOT Polish National Airlines. This is a very unpleasant experience. Usually it is more expensive too. But it is survivable.
That leaves 2 stop options. These are not optimal, but I've done it plenty times -- its only this last time that we had real trouble, with that storm in Denver. The more stops, the more chances for something to screw up. But it might be more pleasant than LOT.
I don't know anything about Continental. I would avoid LOT at all costs, unless you seek adventure. United is also on my bad list, but I've flown with them many times, and always arrived. British Airways is good. Scandinavia Airways (SAS) is good. Dutch airways is good (KLM, i think). Lufthansa is good. Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Munich, are good airports. Charles-de-gaulle, Heathrow are busy and nasty but workable. Chicago is awful, and avoid Denver at all costs.
Danny -- we will party in Seattle and/or SLC! The Eurotrip is totally optional.
We will have a big family party here. Maybe a family campout in Brisky Canyon. There will be a party.
Are there bears in Brisky Canon:):):)?
hopefully. Bigfoot travels through now and then, too.
Post a Comment