Search This Blog

Friday, June 01, 2007

Kids Day

Today is International Kids' Day. Children are everywhere in the streets. Some kind of picnic or concert seems to be going on right outside our apartment. Agata's mom is having us for dinner tonight to celebrate. How come the US never caught on to this holiday? I always heard the lame excuse that every day is kids day.

Today at work I was late for my first lesson and nobody showed for my second. Not altogether a stellar performance.

Its my birthday on Sunday. Agata's grandpa is having us over for dinner then in the evening we are going to the dance recital of one of Agata's friends.

Richard is coming to visit us in two weeks-- and hes bringing a girl! Should be fun. They will only stay for a weekend, but we hope to make the most of it. Its hard playing tour guide, Ive realized that most of the places Ive lived were really nice to live in, but a little hard to appreciate on a whirlwind tour. Lodz, like Lille or Salt Lake, doesnt have a lot of big Oooh Ahhh things to whip out to impress houseguests. Its a subtle charm that shows itself in the pleasant surprises and opportunities of everyday life. Washington DC I guess was the exception, but if I think about it what I remember most fondly are the neat little corners in the town I found, and not the massive monuments. I think a towns tourism and living qualities are completely independent.

Well, thats all. Happy kids day everyone. A most especially happy one this year with the wonderful new addition to our extended family! Im already in love with lil Oli and look at his pictures at least once a day (hint: post more!!!) .

Papapa

No comments: