Search This Blog

Saturday, February 21, 2015

WINTER?



Greetings from home:  not much new this week.  Supposedly we finally have winter.  All you need is a sweater to brave it.  At least the mountains are getting some snow.  Alex, of course, is freezing in snow and ice.  It's dry in Washington State, both coastal and inland, and who knows where California gets their water.  Alex said that Ithaca ran out of salt, so no more traction on the roads.


We had a fun night last night.  We went to the Salt Lake Temple with our downtown stake conference.  We rode with the Santistevans.  It's so special for us to go to the Salt Lake Temple as we were married there.  It is an amazingly beautiful place and can hold it's own with any cathedral or palace I have seen.  Our session took a long, long time and we all came out laughing and glad we were there.  I truly don't know how some of the very old people lasted through it.  Tonight we go back downtown for another meeting, then church tomorrow.


Today Dad is redoing the brakes on his car.  He has always taken good care of the brakes and tires on our cars.  I appreciate that so much.  At Christmas Tommy said he changed his tires just to be on the safe side for winter driving.  I was glad to hear he is following in his dad's footsteps.  High-speed and bad tires are a dangerous mix.


Uncle Dave Johnson is in heart failure and probably will die in the next few days.  I know Aunt Alvina would appreciate a note or card from any and all. (I'll put up an address as soon as I find it) She writes such great letters and loves to get them.  There won't be a funeral as Uncle Dave didn't want one.  I don't know how I feel about that.  I think funerals give families closure.  I hope they do something.  Stories and history and prayers are shared at funerals.  I personally don't need viewings.  But family and friend time to share history and thoughts is nice.


Tyler said his family is doing well.  After the siege they had with the flu, it's great to have no one sick.  We hope to see them in April if Dad can leave his project.  We'll see. 


Tommy and Rilee visited Rilee's brother in Telluride, Colorado.  They loved it there.  They saw Samuel Jackson and they think they stood in line by Johnny Depp.  They enjoyed the skiing.  I'm sure they will be back.


I'm reading a book called, "The Unknown Ajax".  It's written by a popular author of regency romances, Georgette Heyer.  I'm really enjoying it.  Like Jane Austen, she manages to be very funny.  The family in the book has the same name as my ancestors, the Derricott's.  I'm related to them on both sides of my family,  (!!!)  and my aunt said I resembled them.  Now I want to do some history and see if I can find out more about them.  Have you notice the whole world is doing family history?  I always call them my mulatto family as they are all so tall and dark and curly-haired in their portrait.  We'll see.  My DNA test should be coming soon: here's betting 100 % European.


Hope you are all well and happy.  We are.  Minestrone soup and chicken tomorrow for dinner.  Wish you were here.


Love, Mom

No comments: