So , Danny , you asked me to try to run a marathon. I am having my lunch and I am reading an absolutely spectacular book by Baudrillard, entitled America and I found this paragrapf that made me think about our conversation. This is what he says about the NY marathon:
the marathon is a form of demonstrative suicide, suicide as advertising: it is running to show you are capable of getting every last drop of energy out of yourself, to prove it...to prove what?That you are capable of finishing. Graffiti carry the same message. they simply say: I'm so and so and I exist! They are free publivity of existence.
[12:52:37 PM] agata morka says: Do we continually have to prove to ourselves that we exist? A strange sign of weakness, harbiner of a new fanaticism for afaceless performance, endlessly self-evident.
2 comments:
Agata - I will respond with a quote that a friend and I used as our motto in college: "It's so much better to try not to die than to just live." It's very profound, really. Think about it. :)
~Danny
My favorite quote is from my yoga teacher: To be happy don't believe everything you think. I don't know how that fits in, but it made me smile.
Post a Comment