Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

IT'S HOT IN UTAH

June 30!!

Time flies.  Danny and Jenni and the boys have been here and there (Jenni's folks house and Bear Lake) for the last two weeks.  Her folks left yesterday for Cambodia.  Jenni and the boys and Tommy and Rilee left this morning for Seattle.  I think they start moving stuff to the new house tomorrow.  It has been delightful having them stay here.  We will miss them so much!  They are so much fun.  And it's still hot.  What if it stays like this all summer?  There isn't enough water in the west to keep things growing. 

Alex ran yesterday in between rain storms.  He has no desire to get soaking wet during a run.  The heavens really open up in Ithaca when it rains.  Today he is going to his produce farm to pick up wonderful vegetables and fruits.  His birthday is on the 10th of July.  He has a lot of pressure this summer to produce a paper that is part of his ph.d requirement.  Whew.  This is a hard road to be on.  He will do it, though, and well.

We haven't connected with Travis.  On my Marauder's Map on Facebook he is traveling up and down central Poland either on a bike or running.  I imagine he is eating a lot when he can and is very trim. 

We are leaving Friday to see Tyler and Dawn and the girls.  Laurel's birthday is on the 7th of July.  She will be 7!  Then we will return and plan the rest of our summer.  Tyler and Dawn were able to drive to Arizona for a few days.  They helped get her mom into a nursing home and made a connection with her.  The system is very complicated, but it appears she is getting good care.  The girls enjoyed the swimming pool at the hotel.  They also enjoyed meeting their Grandma.  We hope all goes well and Dawn can see her again.

Dad made a table for Danny and Jenni's new kitchen.  He made a mock up to see if the measurements were right.  It was out of Home Depot scraps, pine and fir.  It looked good, so we stained it.  It looked great, so they took it.  What a surprise and a fun project.  We miss it a bit.  I hope it works for them.

We are seeing some progress in people's lives in our mission downtown.  Hopefully we will go to the temple with a young man who is defying the odds and preparing to make covenants and keep them.  It's amazing to see.  He is steady in a very unsteady situation.  Heavenly Father gave us all talents and abilities, but some don't have the habits to use them.  I think that's the biggest reason we are there: to share what we have freely inherited and been given.  A chance.  A lifetime of good role models.  A heritage of productive decisions.  I don't think I would have ever realized how blessed we are if I hadn't served downtown.  I will be touched the rest of my life by what was just handed to me when I was born.  It's been a priceless experience. 

The garden is surviving.  Things are growing themselves to death.  The raspberries have sunburn but taste good and the whole place is covered with bees!  Bees are disappearing but our garden is full of bees.  The only thing missing is you! I love summer.

Here's a suggestion from Bon Appetit: Eat watermelon like steak. Drizzle it with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and red pepper flakes.  Use a steak knife to eat it.

Also, substitute watermelon slices for tomato slices on BLT's.

Come on.  It sounds good.

Finn is doing well.  We can't wait to meet him.

Love, Mom

No comments: