Search This Blog

Sunday, June 09, 2013

Darned time difference

Hello! I feel like it's been far too long since I've talked to the Fam - we've been busy pretty much every weekend since the first of May, and it's so hard to find a time when our waking hours cross during the week. This weekend looks like it'll be calmer, so hopefully I'll catch some of you then.

So here's a bit of an update on us. Work is going well, definitely a fun atmosphere and lots of interesting people, though he day to day stuff can be a bit of a slog and we've been in a bit of dead spot for the last month waiting for the writers to give us more texts to translate. E3, the big video game industry conference, starts today, and we're all very excited to show some of our stuff off to journalists there.

Agata's work is going well in the sense that they've got an impressive amount of book proposals in the pipeline, though I think she's a bit frustrated with what happens to them after that. She'll be going to Berlin twice in June for meetings at their parent company's offices.

Summer has arrived and we are loving it. We went to the Czech Republic the first week of May and had a blast, and then Jurek and Barbara came to visit us on two separate weekends and we played around Warsaw. A week ago we went to visit Agata's friends and co-workers in Sopot, on the Baltic. It was lovely weather and I even got to swim - it wasn't that cold at all, nothing compared to the Pacific near Seattle, but then again, I've had ice cream warmer than the Pacific near Seattle.

I bought a bike and have been loving it. I ride to work every day, and try to take off after work for an excursion before coming home. I was longing for a longer ride this weekend, but we had to go to Lodz, so I came up with a plan: I took my bike on the train and got off in Koluszki, about 20 miles from Lodz, and rode  from there into town. It was great times, going through backroads in the Polish countryside.

So here's some pictures from all of the above:


getting burgers when Agata's dad came

getting burgers when Agata's mom came... hmm... we're kind of monothematic...

Agata in Sopot

On the pier in Sopot

Eating some fried flounder

Beware of Seal

A roadside altar near Koluszki

Some random church procession in Lodz



2 comments:

Jolene said...

So good to hear from you. We could talk tonight but that would be tomorrow for you and off to work. We miss you!

Rilee A Buttars said...

This post made me happy! Loved to hear what you two are up to. Sounds fun!