Search This Blog

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Fourth of July

Happy 4th to everyone! It's always such a great holiday. This year it will just be us and Kaslikowski's as Nebekers are going to Meeker, Colorado to watch J.T.'s band perform. I don't know where Meeker is, but I've heard of it. We are having a barbecue and playing games, maybe going to hear a country band at Sandy City Days called "Carolina Rain". I like country music played out of doors.

Here's something that made me chuckle today while looking through old cooking magazines. In a recipe exchange column someone wrote in asking for a recipe. I quote "For years I've been looking for a herring salad recipe my mother made for New Year's Eve. She made it in 1-gallon jars and marinated it in the refrigerator. It included strawberry jam, grape jelly, bologna and potatoes. Please help." I have her name and address if anyone has a copy of that recipe.

Dad and I watched "Defending Your Life" with Albert Brooks last night. What a great show. We also tended Laurel all afternoon. She liked to eat berries from the garden. It was a good day.

Travis paid a visit to the emergency ward two nights ago. He had a terrible migraine and needed help. He and Agata walked to the hospital which is close by. That's got to have been a long walk, though. He was feeling better yesterday and was at the beach.

Danny and Jenni and the boys are at G-ma's with Becca and Mike and family. Becca and Mike are moving to D.C. soon for work.

Alex has been travelling a lot with the interns. He has had great adventures this summer and is very busy. I think he even said they were doing something for the Fourth of July. I need to find out what that was.

Tommy is in Pittsburgh with Rilee. Apparently Pittsburgh has lots of bridges. That's all I know. I will call him soon.

Tyler and Dawn are working until 8:00 tonight then going to Sugarhouse Park for fireworks (or staying home, whichever works.) They have found a house to rent. It's right off of Fourth South and on a little lane called Fletcher Court, and has a community garden for the residents. It's on about 935 East. They are excited. Dad and I drove by and saw two houses, one white and a litte run down without a garage, and one grey-blue and in perfect shape with a garage. Knowing how things go, we figured the white one was the one on the market and the grey one was probably taken. But it's the grey one with the garage.

Happy barbecue wherever you are. I'm looking forward to a hotdog and mustard, and good fun.

Love, Mom

No comments: