Search This Blog

Monday, November 24, 2008

Sewing Machine


I gave Agata her Christmas present early - a near-mint condition old Singer sewing machine. She's thrilled but sad she won't be able to use it until after finals.

Meanwhile, I'm busy as a bee. For some strange reason I work 3 odd jobs, tutoring, translating, and grading papers, which take up a lot of my time and keep me from getting my school work done, but at least help bring some bacon home to the frying pan. Speaking of which, here's a hit Polish recipe among the guys in my department, that maybe some manly Currits might enjoy -- especially you dangerously skinny ones:

Take 4-5 pounds of bacon, or, even better, smoked pork belly, chop it up into small bits and toss it in a frying pan with some garlic, onions, marjoram, and a touch of pepper, and let it sizzle on low (important: don't get it to hot and crispify the bacon). Drain the grease out occasionally into a bowl, keep going until you've got it all out, then put the drained bacon bits /onion pieces back into the bowl with the grease, and let the whole mixture congeal in the fridge. Now you've got the most delicious butter-substitute you've ever had -- use it for frying eggs, put it on bread with some pickles, eat it plain -- yum yum.

Thanksgiving is nigh, look forward to seeing you all there. I can't wait for Christmas either; my wish-list as always is lots of playing, chatting, late-night-movie-watching etc with the bros, sausage and cheese parties, and a couple of sledding trips. If anyone feels acquisitive, I could use anything rain or waterproof -pants, gloves, socks, hats, coat, etc -- that I can use to go sailing or in rainy weather. A wetsuit, ah, now that would be nice. Also anything even vaguely gadget-y is always a hit with me. But things to enjoy as a group always make the best presents, IMHO.

Well better get back to work. Enjoy yourselves and have a safe trip up.
TC

1 comment:

jo said...

I didn't read this before we left. I could never eat that stuff (but I bet it is good). I manage to have high cholestrol eating whole wheat. Thanksgiving was so fun. I think that sewing machine is the same one I grew up with. If you get tired of it, sell it to me!