Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

News from Southeast Asia

We heard from Alex yesterday (letter). He didn't know anything about the Burma tsunami. Over 100,000 people have been killed. It has destroyed some of the major rice growing areas in the world. Apparently U.S. carriers with helicopters were practicing disaster rescues in the bay below Thailand. They are trying to negotiate with Burma (Myanmar) to let them in. They are loaded with supplies. The government in former Burma is reluctant to let the world in even though they are in a mess. I think they will. I hope they will. Fortunately Alex seems uneffected by this disaster. This seems to be an evil government. I don't really understand it, but the U.S. is working through China as they will talk to China, not us. The only place people are finding refuge is in Buddhist monasteries, which the government was trying to destroy before the storm.

Anyway. Things don't bode well for the rice supply for a rice-eating world.

No comments: